Odia Special Dishes

Submit recipe ideas. Traditional Odia food and drinks as well as others.

hellos
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Odia Special Dishes

Postby hellos » May 16th, '09, 08:11

Hey guys n gals,

Everyone wants to know abt what are the Odia dishes..so if in this way we can tell them, then it would be the best idea I guess..
So lets start with some specific odia foods then we can say those are specific to Orissa only (for an e.g. south has idli, shambar and so on .. of course those are also in Orissa but not specific to Orissa ..)
Hope you all get my point and post those things related to Orissa only....
Waiting for your responses...request to all put their dishes..:)

Odia Special Dishes

Sponsor

Sponsor

hellos
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Re: Odia Special Dishes

Postby hellos » May 30th, '09, 21:24

Rice and Vegetable Delights
Rice is the major food crop and the staple diet of the people of Orissa.
'Pancha-phutana' a mixture of cumin, mustard, fennel, fenugreek and black cumin is used for seasoning vegetables and dals.
The brinjals and pumpkins are largely cooked in curd with mustard seeds giving the whole preparation that extra zing.

Non Veg :
The people of Orissa also relish fish, prawns and crabs as they are available in abundance in the unending coastline of the state
and these are totally free from toxic substances like mercury and lead etc.
The Fish recipes are delicious (yes Kolkata is very much famous for same but we have also some specific kind of preparation)

Mouth Watering Sweets
People of Orissa are also very much fond of sweets and many of sweets are quite popular all over the country.
Milk preparations like Rasgulla, Rasmalai, Khirmohan, Rasabali, Kalakhand are just fabulous, once tasted then it's just irresistible.
Chhenapodapitha, the caramelised custard-like dessert is most popular.

Snacks
Pithas are made out of powdered grams like chakuli, kakara, monda, arrisa and modak are traditional preparation that requires great expertise.
Puri, upma and white peas curry (some place it calls guguni and in some place called chana curry) it too fabulous.
Samosa and Allu Chop are also very much famous as we are neighbours to Bihar.
Idli, Wada, Dosa and Shambar are also little famous in some part of Orissa as it came from one of our neighbour Andhra Pradesh.

At last but not least the special of Orissa...'Mahaprasad'- The Food Of Lord Jagannath
Another traditional delicacy 'Mahaprasad' or the sacred food offered as 'Bhog' to Lord Jagannath.
This rich food is available at the Anand Bazar of the Jagannath Temple, Puri.

dagulskie
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Re: Odia Special Dishes

Postby dagulskie » Aug 22nd, '10, 17:40

Hi

I like your Rice and Vegetable Delights and Non veg: dish...If i could only see your recipe of the Non veg: dish.
I really want to try cooking it.

Catering London

Return to “Food, Drinks and Recipes”